Student Computer Services
General information on the admission of international students at TU Wien can be found at http://www.tuwien.ac.at/en/services/department_for_studies_and_examinations/the_conditions_for_admission_of_foreigners/
The Information Technology Services (ZID) provide the following services for students of the Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien):
- personal account, access to the TISS information system
- electronic mail,
- access to internet,
- permanent storage space for home page, mail and files,
- public computer pools (internet rooms),
Every student admitted to study at TU Wien is eligible for a student account (information on studying in Austria: http://www.bmwf.gv.at/, general information on the admission of international students at TU Wien: http://www.tuwien.ac.at/en/services/department_for_studies_and_examinations/the_conditions_for_admission_of_foreigners/)
To activate your student account fill out this web mask https://www.zid.tuwien.ac.at/student/account/pin.php (PIN-code required).
Alternatively you may contact one of the tutors ("Internet-Raum Betreuer") in the public computer room FH1 or the service center (ZID, Freihaus, 2nd floor, yellow area). All tutors speak English, some are knowledgeable in other languages too. Please have your student identity card ready. You will have to sign that you acknowlegde the rules and policies of the ZID.
You can choose your initial password, which will be valid for access to the PCs in the internet rooms, for the student server and for TISS. It is possible to change your password at: https://www.zid.tuwien.ac.at/student/account/
Unique e-mail address for every student (email@example.com). E-mail clients are installed at the computer rooms. Mail user name and password are identical to your student server login user name (e.g. "e1234567") and login password. More information (in German).
Storage space / Web Space
1000 MB is available for e-mails, 500 MB for other files.
Webspace is provided on web.student for every student account (300 MB), CGI, Perl, php, MySQL. More information (in German).
Public computer rooms
The computers at the public computer rooms can be used by all students who have a valid user account. There are about 250 PCs with pentium processors (or better) and 17" color monitors available. Operating system is Linux, Microsoft applications are avaliable via Citrix terminal server.
Public computer rooms for students are located at:
- FH1: Freihaus, ground floor, red area
- FHSR: Freihaus, ground floor, red area
- FHA (Aula Freihaus): ground floor, red area
- FH2: Freihaus, 2nd floor, yellow area, next to Nöbauer lecture hall
- FH3 (HTU Fachschaft Physik): Freihaus, 2nd floor, yellow area, next to lecture halls 2, 3, 4
- GH1: Gußhaus - old part, Gußhausstraße 25, 3rd floor
- GH2: Gußhaus - new building, Gußhausstraße 27-29, ground floor
- TR (Treitlstraße): Treitlstraße 3, 1st floor, next to FS Informatik
- BIB (Hauptbibliothek): Resselgasse 4, 1st floor
- FAV (Favoritenstraße): Favoritenstraße 11, ground floor
- GHA (Aula Gußhausstraße): Gußhausstraße 27-29, Aula
- GM (Lehartrakt): Lehargasse 4, basement
- GM2: Getreidemarkt, Maschinenbau, 1st floor, next to Radinger Hörsaal
- PM (Perlmooserhaus): Operngasse 11, Erdgeschoss
- KP: Main building, Karlsplatz 13, stair 7, above HS 7
Current utilization: here you can check how many PCs are free at he moment.
VPN (Virtual Private Network):
Secure connection between your computer and TUNET via the internet. More information (in German).
WLAN (Wireless LAN Service) in all buildings and common areas of the University.
TISS Information System
Here you will find information regarding institutes, courses and curricula: http://tiss.tuwien.ac.at/. Login with your student account.
Address Book of TU Wien
An e-mail alias <firstname.lastname@example.org> is assigned to each student account. Every student gets an entry in the address book of TU Wien, containing the actual address. Additional e-mail addresses may be entered. Student data is only available within the university net (TUNET) or after successful login.
We expect students using the internet services to obey Austrian law and to respect the rules of our university.
We appreciate your co-operation.
Help and Information
The tutors ("Internet-Raum Betreuer") in the internet room FH1 are ready to provide help (in English) with any problems concerning the internet services. Hotline: 58801 - 42006.